St. James North
Edmund “Eddie” Hinkson is an attorney-at-law residing in Waterhall Terrace, St. James. The husband of Beverly and father of Erica and Gregory, he has an outstanding record as a community leader.
He has been a member of the Lions Club of Bridgetown for the past 25 years and has the honours of being named the Best President of the Lions Clubs in the Caribbean District 60B and of serving as the Lions Clubs Leader of Barbados. Eddie has served as a member of the Advisory Board of Directors of the Salvation Army and as a member of the Council of St. Johns Ambulance Association. He is a member of the Association of the Blind and Deaf and is now a member of the Board of Directors of the Council for the Disabled.
Eddie has been a sub-committee chairman of the Small Business Association and is a member of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry. A member of the Lawn Tennis Association and the Paragon Tennis Club, he has sponsored cricket, football and netball tournaments, provided prizes at school speech days, assisted churches with outreach and mentorship programmes, provided food vouchers to needy persons and helped in finding solutions to constituency issues relating to land.
In government, he served as Chairman of the National Conservation Commission and the Severance Payments Tribunal, Deputy Chairman of the National Housing Corporation, the National Advisory Committee on Disabilities and the Building Advisory Committee as well as a Director of the National Cultural Foundation, a Member of Consumer Claims Tribunal, Income Tax Appeal Board and the Harrison College Board of Management. Internationally, Edmund has been an officer of the International Bar Association, a member of the Commonwealth Lawyers Association and a member of International Who’s Who of Professionals.
BLP Delivering for St. James North
- Constructed the Weston Fishing Complex;
- Relocated some Weston residents to Upper Bakers in response to flooding;
- Completed an affordable housing development in Bakers Development;
- Improved roads in Sion Hill:
- Construction of new St. Albans Primary School;
- Installed lights on the Sion Hill Playing field.
A Vision for St. James North
- To implement a constituency wide training programme focused on job creation.
- To provide loans and planning assistance to young entrepreneurs looking to start businesses.
- To address the challenges relating to Zone One regulations in a large part of the constituency.
- To create a programme focused on the reduction of youth illiteracy
- To improve the quality of life for persons with disabilities by providing them with greater educational,training and employment opportunities
- To facilitate the creation of a programme to keep senior citizens mentally alert and occupied
- To alleviate the adverse effects of flooding in various parts of the constituency
- To establish a sports facility to accommodate constituents on the coast
- To improve roads including in Rock Dundo, Upper Mt. Standfast, ashton hall and bairds road
- To improve bus services including to Greenwich Village, Ashton Hall and The Whim
- To establish a children’s recreational facility in Weston
- To implement house repairs, particularly for the elderly and the disabled, facilitated by government agencies and the private sector
- To acquire land at Lancaster for housing